Initially, the band performed in their regular police department uniforms. A few years later from 1918 through to 1925 the band wore the Davidson tartan. In 1925 the band’s uniform was changed one final time and to this day the band wears the Prince Edward Charles Stewart tartan. The full dress uniforms were patterned after those worn by the pipes and drums of the famed Scots Guards. This privilege was officially conferred upon the band fourteen years later by King George VI during a visit to Vancouver.